MPUtoDSP check Error


A feckin' $8 Motorola chip has rendered my Korg MS2000R useless
I'm able to make use of it as MIDI knob controller, but it's sure frustrating to be missing the sound.


This is not something you can get out with your soldering iron. read something about hot-air rework stations for IC removal. Korg will replace the entire motherboard for $500 plus labour. Their way of saying "buy a new synth, ya feker." I'll see if I can find a place in montreal that can do this sort of work. Maybe Addison Electric?




The MS2000R was an early analog modelling synth; with a thin, lame filter, poor effects and a paltry 4-voice polyphony - but despite the specs it just sounded great and was super easy to use. I loved the leads and textures you could get out of it. The motion sequencer, external input, virtual patch and vocoder are great features.

It was the only bit of kit I've ever bought new - and the only bit of kit ever to go seriously wrong.
It's sitting beside it's Korg MS-10 ancestor which has been perfectly functional since 1973.

The MS-10 also has an external input, and I've got the bus out of my mixer connected to that External signal in. Now I can run anything from the desk through the excellently dirty 12db resonant filter. The input overdrives nicely and really gives overly clean   synths and drum machines an edge. Love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment